Friday, February 12, 2010

Dipping sauce for Hard Shell Crabs

This has to be immortalized because so few people use sauce when eating hard shell crabs. They don't know what they are missing. I found this in an article I saved from the Wilmington News Journal dated Jan. 22, 2003. It reminds me of the sauce they used to serve at DiNardo's on Lincoln St.(in Wilmington, De.) that closed a number of years ago. As I recall, the vinegar made it great and cut down on the salt from the Old Bay.

1/2 Cup dark brown sugar
1/2 Cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 Cup ketchup
1 teaspoon of hot sauce
2 teaspoons of Old Bay seasoning
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup water

Combine in a pan and bring to a boil. Cool and serve in individual dipping dishes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I have been looking for this for at least 6 years!! It has to be a Delaware thing, because no one has a dip like this. It took a good 30 minutes for me to find this recipe, so maybe you should change the name? Just saying. Thank you for posting. Maybe the name should be 'crab dip - sauce for dipping crabs'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have searching for sauce for years. tried yours was great!

    ReplyDelete