Monday, January 18, 2010

Lentil Soup


I have been looking for a very flavorful lentil soup; so I searched all the available recipes and took the best (I think) from each. I forgot to get sausage; so I ended up with a non meat version using liquid smoke to impart the "sausage" flavor. Since I really wanted a depth of flavor with some "pop", I added a jalapeno, but this is certainly optional.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive olive
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced (use the leafy parts too)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon corriander
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
2 cups lentils cleaned
1 can chopped or crushed tomatoes
8 cups of liquid (I used 1 can beef broth; 1 can chicken broth; 1 cup v8 juice and 4 cups water)
1-2 tablespoons of liquid smoke
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons of port wine
salt to taste

Cook all vegetables and garlic for about 5 minutes. Stir in all liquid, lentils and seasonings except liquid smoke, vinegar and port wine. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for at least an hour. Add the vinegar, liquid smoke and port wine and simmer for 30 minutes or until desired doneness. At this point, I used my imulsion blender and had a mixture of half pure and half whole lentil blend. Add salt to taste. I simmered for another 30 minutes. Depending on how thick or thin you like your soup, feel free to add more liquid (including water) after the initial hour of simmering.

No comments:

Post a Comment